Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Texas Roadhouse Rolls and Cinnamon Butter




My favorite part about eating at Texas Roadhouse is the rolls. I love them! I especially love the cinnamon butter. I found a copycat recipe on Goodstuff Maynard. Although I can't say they taste like the Texas Roadhouse rolls they were delicious. I even passed up dessert for a second roll. Now you know they're good.

Texas Roadhouse Rolls

1 1/2 packets active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 tbsp melted butter, cooled
1/2 cup sugar
2 quart all purpose flour (wierd measurement. It's 8 cups)
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt

Soften yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar.
Add yeast, milk, sugar, and enough flour to make a medium batter. Beat thoroughly. Let stand until light and foamy.
Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Sprinkle small amount of flour on counter and let dough rest.
Meanwhile, clena and dry bowl; grease clean surface of bowl. Knead dough until smooth and satiny. Put in greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
Punch down. Turn out on floured board. Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes.
Shape dough into desired forms. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Baste immeadiately with butter.
Makes 5-6 dozen

*Notes-I ended up using only about 7 1/2 cups flour. Also, I made bigger rolls and it only made about 3 dozen. If you do this bake for about 25 minutes.


Cinnamon Butter from Real Mom Kitchen

1/2 cup room temperature butter
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. cinnamon

combine all ingredients and mix until light and fluffy
Pin It!

6 comments:

LoveBugged said...

hi, i was wondering how long would it take for the dough to "double in bulk", because my dough has been resting for 1.5 hours and it size hasn't changed.

My Sister's Kitchen said...

I've noticed that my bread and rolls take longer to rise in the winter. Also, if you get the water too hot, it can kill the yeast, causing it not to rise. Here's a link that might offer you some ideas. Let me know how it works out! http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1393269/tips_to_help_your_homemade_bread_dough.html?cat=22

LoveBugged said...

thanks for reply :)
the rolls were hard enough to make a hole in my wall.....
i'm going to try again though...

My Sister's Kitchen said...

Good for you. I have to admit, breadmaking was my struggle for a long time and I'm still no expert. From what you described it sounds like too much flour. Hopefully you'll get better results next time around.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe, but I've made some changes that I feel make it very close to the 'real deal'.

First, I converted this huge recipe from volume measurements to weight and baker's percentages for ease of scaling and accuracy.

Second, I added an equal amount of honey to the sugar, and vital wheat gluten w/ vitamin c.

They're very, very close. I think they might need a tiny bit more salt, but they're still delicious. With a little butter and cinnamon, I can't tell the difference. Try them as written and decide for yourself!

For two pounds of dough, yielding eighteen 50 gram(big!) rolls:

Ingredient:Weight:Percent:Volume (if applicable)

AP Flour..........- 455 g - 100%
Milk................- 211 g - 46.42%
Water.............- 53.0g - 11.65%
Sugar..............- 44.5g - 9.79%
Honey.............- 44.5g - 9.79%
Eggs...............- 44.5g - 9.79% - 1 large egg.
Butter, melted.- 20.0g - 4.40%
Gluten...........- 12.0g - 2.64% - 4 tsp.
Salt...............- 9.1 g - 2% - 1.5 tsp.

Follow directions as posted, adding honey when with the sugar and the vital wheat gluten after you finish beating at the 'medium batter' stage (I beat mine for ~8 minutes).

I'm considering adding some more sugar and using this dough for SOFT cinnamon rolls on a special occasion.

I hope this helps somebody.

My Sister's Kitchen said...

Thanks for the adaptations. I can't wait to try them!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...