Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Tortilla Soup

Ever since I had tortilla soup at Costa Vida last week I've been on a serious kick to get some more. This recipe is from my friend Robyn. I actually have never made tortilla soup before but this one is delicious. My husband has never tasted tortilla soup and he loved it and had seconds. I changed a few things in the recipe that I will note at the bottom. I think this tasted really close if not better than Costa Vida's soup.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

6-8 chicken breasts

2 large cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup of diced carrots or a small bag of shredded carrots

2 cans of diced green chilies

2 bunches of green onions chopped

2 quarts of chicken stock

3-4 diced tomatoes

2 tsp worchestershire sauce

Boil chicken in pot of water until soft enough to shred. Shred the chicken and add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. Simmer for at least 1 hour. Serve with fresh garnishing of

tortilla chips

fresh diced tomatoes

avocados

sliced black olives

chopped fresh cilantro

shredded cheese

*Notes- I prefer my chicken cooked in a pan in a little olive oil. I also seasoned it with salt and pepper. Then just shredded it like the recipe said. Also, I halved the recipe but after simmering it for 1 hour I ended up adding more chicken stock because I didn't think it was soupy enough. Also, I add a scoop of guacamole in the soup just like Costa Vida.* Yum. Yum



To make tortilla strips cut up corn or flour tortillas. Toss in a little olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...