Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Whipped Banana Oatmeal


It seems like I'm always trying to either maintain my weight or lose a few pounds and one way I try to do that is by eating oatmeal most days of the week for breakfast. I actually really like oatmeal, but it can get a little old eating it all the time. I found this recipe when I was looking for something a little different but still easy and yummy. I've included a link just for fun. It is a Tribute to Oatmeal. Some new ideas for an old standby.

http://www.katheats.com/?page_id=2032

Whipped Banana Oatmeal

1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup 1% or skim milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 a banana (I’m usually making this for 2 so we split the banana)
Pinch of salt
Stirred in:

Wheatberries (or spelt or rye or kamut berries)
1 tbsp ground flax
1 tsp vanilla extract

For two servings, start by combining rolled oats, water, and skim milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Slice a banana into VERY thin pieces, leaving just a few bigger chunks. As the oatmeal heats, stir vigorously at times to “whip” the banana into the oats. The oats will take 5-7 minutes on medium heat to fully absorb the liquid. They’re done when they reach your desired consistency! Then stir in vanilla and ground flax (and often wheatberries) and portion into bowls. Add any toppings you like, such as almond or peanut butter, walnuts or almonds, coconut, crumbled granola plank or bar, or trail mix – with dark chocolate chips!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yumm, that sounds so great!
I'm going to have this for breakfast tomorrow :)

whitneyingram said...

Almonds on oatmeal. Good idea!

My son loves oatmeal. Unfortunately, he calls it "gooey". Sounds disgusting. But at least he eats it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...