Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Texas Sheet Cake

This cake is famous in Duane's family. It is his grandma's recipe and to this day no one can make it like her. This is usually my husband's request for his birthday cake. In my opinion it is the frosting that makes it so good, so don't cheat and do store bought. Also, I have made this several times with Duane's grandma (one of those cooks that says oh, I just add a little of this until it tastes good) and she makes more frosting which I will note in the recipe.

Texas Sheet Cake

Mix: 2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Bring to a boil: 2 cubes butter (real!)
1 c. water
4 Tbsp. cocoa

Take from heat and add to dry mixture above.

Add last: 1 c. sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda

Batter will be thin. Pour into a greased cookie sheet (or jelly roll pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Frost while still warm.

Frosting *I always double the frosting and triple the nuts because that is as close as I can get to copying Duane's Grandma's version. If you want to do it that way, use the amounts in parenthesis.

1 cup nuts *I always use walnuts. I'm not a huge fan of walnuts but they are delicious in this recipe.* (3 cups )

1 tsp. vanilla (2 tsp.)

6 Tbsp. milk (12 tbsp.)

1 small box powdered sugar, sifted (2 small boxes)

1 cube butter (2 cubes)

4 tbsp cocoa (8 tbsp.)

Boil milk, butter and cocoa until bubbly. Remove from heat. Mix in everything else. Beat until smooth. Spread over cake while it is still warm. Delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...