Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Key Lime Pie





My second favorite thing at Cafe Rio besides the chicken salad is the Key Lime Pie. However, I always seem to eat too much and not have room for dessert so I decided to make it at home today. This is by far my favorite recipe. It was so tart and creamy thanks to 3 whole cans of sweetened condensed milk, I really don't know how it could have turned out bad. I do have to tell you though, unless you are planning on torturing yourself, please use regular limes (I wouldn't recommend the bottled stuff). It took me about an hour to hand squeeze 4 lbs. of the tiny key limes !I don't think I'll be doing that again. I chose to make it into 2 pies and actually made it in two 9 in cake pans but you can also use a 9 x13 pan or a 10 x 2 in deep pie pan. If you want it green just squeeze in a few drops of green food coloring.
Key Lime Pie
WorldWide Ward Cookbook
3/4 lb. graham crackers (this works out to be 22 1/2 graham crackers)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. butter, melted
3 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
5 egg yolks
2 cups Key Lime Juice (or regular lime juice) FRESH ONLY
green food coloring if desired
Sweetened Whipped Cream
Lime slices and if desired mint for garnish
In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter. Press mixture 1/2 inch thick on bottom and sides of 10 x 2 in deep fluted pie pan (or 9 x13 or 2 regular sized pie pans). In another bowl, mix condensed milk, egg yolks and lime juice (add food coloring if desired at this point) on low speed of mixer until well blended, about 2 minutes (it should be creamy in color and slightly thickened). Pour into prepared pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 18-24 minutes (when pie is done, pressing the surface lightly with a finger should leave a mark). Remove from oven and let cool. Refrigerate 6-8 hours before serving. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, fresh limes, and mint sprigs.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...