Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Honey Ham Glaze




I have a confession to make. It was the day before Easter and I a little unhappy because we had to use the ham my husband was given for Christmas. Just one of those big boneles ones. Iknow, spoiled. Anyway, instead of going to Honey Baked Ham my sweet husband bought us an electric knife and promised me a thinly sliced ham, just like I like it, for Easter. I already had this recipe for the glaze and I'm glad I didn't succumb to the pressure. This turned out just as great as any ham I've ever had. Sweet with a little spice from the cloves. Goes to show, with a little creativity you can create something special out of something ordinary.

Honey Ham Glaze
from Allrecipes.com


5 pounds ready-to-eat ham
1/4 cup whole cloves
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 cups honey
2/3 cup butter


DIRECTIONS


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Score ham, and stud with the whole cloves. Place ham in foil lined pan.
In the top half of a double boiler, heat the corn syrup, honey and butter. Keep glaze warm while baking ham.
Brush glaze over ham, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Baste ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the honey glaze. During the last 4 to 5 minutes of baking, turn on broiler to caramelize the glaze. Remove from oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving.




*I sliced the ham thinly, instead of scoring it, and then just basted it every 15 minutes. I also used an 8 lb. ham but kept the amount of the glaze the same. Just made sure to adjust baking time. It should say on the package how long to cook per pound.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...