Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bacon Cheeseburger Chicken aka Alice Springs Chicken



















Everytime I go to Outback Steakhouse I order Alice Springs Chicken minus the honey mustard with a side of ranch. I was hoping when I stumbled across this recipe that it would be comparable to Alice Springs Chicken and it is. I tweaked it just a bit. Now I can enjoy one of my favorite meals at home. The original recipe called for cooking the chicken in the bacon grease or butter and oil and for health's sake I changed it to just olive oil. I also added mushrooms which you can easily leave out if you don't like them. I didn't really measure anything when I was making it, I just put an amount that looked good to me. That way you don't have to dirty more dishes. One other change I made was cooking the chicken over low heat for longer so it only had to heat for about 20 minutes in the oven instead of 35. I think next time I will put the bacon under the cheese just for a prettier look. If you would like to see the original recipe it is on KevinandAmanda.com/recipes. They also have pictures and step by step instructions that are great. If you're a fan of ranch I recommend serving it with the homemade ranch (posted on this website.) It is delicious.

Bacon Cheeseburger Chicken
adapted from Kevin and Amanda Recipes

1-1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
pepper and garlic salt to taste
6 boneless, skinles chicken breasts, split in half
1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup ranch dressing (I used the homemade ranch which is similar in taste to Outback's)
1/2 lb. bacon (or bacon bits) cut in half or small slices, whichever you prefer
1/2 or 1 whole can sliced mushrooms, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and saute 4 -5 each side, until lightly browned (or over medium heat about 10 minutes or until mostly cooked through). Place browned chicken breasts in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with teriyaki sauce and dressing. Sprinkle with cheese and top with bacon bits. Bake for 25- 35 minutes (or about 20 if you cooked them longer previously) or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Serve with Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes!

*If you like honey mustard you could easily substitute the ranch for honey mustard. Maybe just not as much. *




Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...