Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chicken with Green Curry Sauce

When I saw cumin, coconut milk and green chilies listed on the ingredients for this recipe I was pretty sure I would like it and I was right. I am a big fan of curry. This is the first green curry I have had and it was great. It was very mild and creamy and had just the right amount of spice. I took Melanie's suggestion and added a teaspoon of cornstarch at the end to thicken the sauce a litle bit. This was an easy weeknight meal I know I will be enjoying again. I used white rice because that is what I had at home but if you want to try something different, serve this with couscous. The sauce is actually greener than it appears in the picture. I think maybe because of the green plate it looks a little different.
Chicken with Green Curry
from My Kitchen Cafe adapted from Robin Miller
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon Garam masala (a spice. I found mine at Wal-mart with the other spices)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup couscous, cooked according to package directions
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Season both sides of chicken with salt and black pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes per side until golden brown.In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, green chilies, curry powder, garam masala, and cumin. Add mixture to chicken and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce reduces slightly. The sauce will be quite runny. To thicken it up a bit, I mixed one teaspoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water and added it to the sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Serve chicken and green curry sauce over couscous and garnish with cilantro.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Hi. I am excited to try this dish. Our family loves curry. What is Garam masala? Where do you find it? I scoured walmart & smith's today...even asked for help & no one knew where to find it. Could you please email me? huntermele@yahoo.com

Elder Christian Sullivan said...

It is a spice. I found mine at Wal-mart over in the spice section. It was MCCormick brand Gourmet Collection. Hope you can find it

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...