Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cowboy Cookies



While I might not have a real cowboy like Pioneer Woman (mine is more of the bike riding variety) he can still enjoy these Cowboy Cookies. These cookies are soft, chewy, oatmealy, & chocolately. They also turned out nice and puffy. Some oatmeal cookies (even though they taste amazing) look a little flat. They're perfect to take along hiking or in my husband's case on the biking trail because the oatmeal gives you that extra uumph! I used chocolate chunks and next time will probably add twice as many as I love chocolate and wished there was more of it in these. I also chose to omit the nuts as I am sending them with my hubby to Moab and know that some people don't care for nuts.


Cowboy Cookies

adapted from the WorldWide Ward Cookbook


1 cup shortening (I like to use butter flavored Crisco)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

2 cups oats (I used old fashioned)

1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)

1 or 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks ( If you are adding nuts, keep the chocolate chips to 1 cup. If not, you can add 1-2 cups depending on how chocolatey you want them)


Cream the shortening, brown sugar, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Mix into batter. Stir in oats, nuts, and chocolate chips (I did this by hand so I didn't over mix them). Spoon onto cookie sheet, placing about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Makes 3-4 dozen.

Pin It!

2 comments:

The McAdam Family said...

How many eggs? I think it was left out. I assume 2?

My Sister's Kitchen said...

Thanks for letting me know. You were right. The recipe calls for two eggs.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...