Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Belgian Yeast Waffles


When I was first married and knew nothing about cooking I accidentally picked out a Belgian Waffle Maker instead of a regular one. Sadly, it broke about a year ago. I purchased  a regular waffle maker and have been disappointed every time I make waffles. I finally broke down and bought a new Belgian Waffle maker that I absolutely love. I've since seen them at numerous stores and even Costco. I found this recipe on the King Arthur Flour website for a yeast waffle you can make the night before. It was so nice to wake up and have the waffle batter ready to go. You don't have to have a Belgian Waffle Maker to make these waffles, but believe me, you're missing out!

Belgian Yeast Waffles
King Arthur Flour


1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) milk

6 tablespoons (3 ounces) butter

2 to 3 tablespoons (1 3/8 to 2 ounces) maple syrup

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast


Heat the milk till it’s very hot. Place it in a large mixing bowl (you’ll need lots of room for expansion), and add the butter, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Stir till the butter melts and the mixture has cooled to lukewarm. Add the eggs, flour, and yeast, stirring to combine; it’s OK if the mixture isn’t perfectly smooth. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour; the mixture will begin to bubble. You can cook the waffles at this point, or refrigerate the batter overnight to cook waffles the next day. (Make SURE it’s in a bowl large enough for it to at least double in size!)Preheat the waffle iron. Spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray, and pour 2/3 to 3/4 cup batter (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer) onto the center of the iron. Close the lid and bake for the recommended amount of time, till the waffle is golden brown. It took us about 6 minutes, using our waffle iron here. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven. Serve with berries and whipped cream, if desired or good old fashioned butter and syrup. This makes about 4 belgian waffles.

Posted by: Sallie
Pin It!

5 comments:

Netts Nook said...

I know what we are having for dinner I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

mr. pineapple man said...

just got a waffle maker last night. must try this! thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! I made this tonight ! Tripled the recipe for our new Kitchen Aid waffle maker and it made 10 waffles!!It was so good.I will never use any other recipe!!!I used 1 Cup on each side of the double waffle maker and cooked it 3 minutes and 30 seconds.PERFECT!!!!

My Sister's Kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Sister's Kitchen said...

I'm so glad you like them. I love making things the night before. It makes mornings or dinners even better.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...