Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Round Steak with Black Beans


I promised myself that after coming back from vacation I would try to use up a lot of the food that was piling up in my freezer. I had some round steak and found this recipe from Southern Food. It cooks in the crock pot which makes it super easy and the only work required is dicing an onion and measuring spices. Everything else comes from a can. It was really good. The soup gave it a little creaminess and the kick from the green chilies was really good. The meat turned out so tender! The only change I would make next time is to just leave the round steak in serving portions. I think it would make a nicer presentation and cubing it just wasn't necessary. We had this over mashed potatoes but you could also use rice. This recipe can be easily adapted. I think pork chops would taste just as delicious and if you don't like spicy food you could just use regular diced tomatoes.
Round Steak With Black Beans
Southern Food
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 10 oz. or 1 1/2 cups salsa
1 10 1/2 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 16 oz. can black beans, drained
1 large onion, diced
1/4 tsp. each cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder
1 1/2 -2 lbs. round steak (you can either cube this or just leave in normal portion sizes)
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in the crock pot. (I did the sauce first and then added the meat last). Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or 4 to 5 hours on high. Serve over hot rice or mashed potatoes. Makes 4-6 servings.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lost my Southern Food mini cookbook from the impulse aisle at the grocery store from SEVERAL years ago and have been wanting to make this recipe. So I googled 3 ingredients (cilantro, round steak and black beans) and first entry was your site! I like the idea of leaving steak in portion sizes, smart. Thank you!

My Sister's Kitchen said...

I'm so glad. There is nothing worse than losing a good recipe. I'm glad you found it!

Prairie Mama said...

This has been a family favorite recipe at our house for a long time! I always use two cans of beans and serve it over rice with a dollop of sour cream on top and a green salad on the side. I have used cream of celery and cream of chicken soups and both taste good. I do slice the steaks length-wise into thirds and like to use tenderized round steak best. Thanks for sharing your pic so I can PIN to my favorites board!! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...