Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 4- The Rolls!

As far as Thanksgiving goes I have to admit that besides the desserts of course, I think the rolls might be my favorite part of the dinner. I especially love the leftover sandwiches the next day. Yum! I was all set to post my husband's Grandma's roll recipe but my Cook's Country Magazine arrived awhile ago with a new roll recipe that I couldn't resist trying it. So, lucky for you, I will be posting not one but two roll recipes today. I'll let you decide which to make.


Roll #1- Grandma's Rolls


The first time I was invited to Thanksgiving Dinner at Duane's Grandparents house, before we were even married, the first thing my husband said was " My Grandma makes the BEST rolls!" I couldn't wait to try them and as promised they were amazing. Of course after we were married I got the recipe and have now been making them on my own. The pros to these rolls are they make a ton! The original recipe calls for 18 cups of flour, but I usually cut it into thirds which is the recipe I have below. They are more on dense side, but still very soft and tender inside with a buttery flavor. I think they make the best sandwiches the next day! The downside to these rolls is they call for a triple rise so they really take most of the day. However, that being said, you can bake them for 15 minutes, then freeze them and finish baking for 15 minutes the next day. (I always just make them and bake them the same day so unfortunately I can't vouch for this method. I will let you know as soon as I try it. Duane's Grandma said she didn't think you had to defrost them but couldn't remember .) I hope I didn't discourage you from making these because they are amazing!


P. S. Sorry, no picture on this yet. Between traveling and sick kids it just didn't happen. Hopefully next week.

Grandma' s Rolls
Lorraine Sullivan


2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/4 c plus 1 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup melted shortening, regular or butter flavored
6 cups flour, sifted
1 heaping tsp. salt


In large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water. Add eggs, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, and melted shortening. Mix; let rise until double in bulk . Punch down. Rise again. Roll (I like to do mine Parker House style which is the way Duane's Grandma always does it) and let rise again. Bake in 375 degree oven until just set and starting to turn color about 15 minutes. Let cool. Freeze, then when ready to finish bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I usually skip this step and just bake them in a 375 degree oven until golden brown. When rolls come out of the oven take a stick of butter and rub all over top of rolls.

Posted by: Sallie
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...