Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce



Quite awhile ago my family was visiting and we decided to roast a turkey for dinner. Of course we had all the fixings like potatoes, gravy, rolls, etc. and my sister said "we've gotta have cranberry sauce." Up until then I had polity passed this by every Thanksgiving and Christmas, thinking how can people be eating that stuff? I love cranberries, but it just never looked too appealing. But Williams Sonoma has never steered me wrong and I decided I just had to have a taste of the sauce my sister made. One bite and I was hooked! I think I ate turkey sandwiches on rolls with cranberry sauce the whole next week for lunch. It's got kind of a sweet/sour thing going on. I love the combination of all the different flavors-- the tart cranberries and apples, the brightness from the orange rind and last but not least the great spices of cinnamon and cloves. This is a tried and true recipe that will be appearing on my holiday table from now on!


Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce
Williams Sonoma


Ingredients:
1/2 orange
2 cups water
1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, pippin or McIntosh
3 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Directions:
Squeeze the juice from the orange and set the juice aside. Remove and discard the membrane from inside the orange rind and cut the rind into small dice. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the rind and the water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside. Peel, core and quarter the apple. Cut into 1/2-inch dice and place in a saucepan. Sort the cranberries, discarding any soft ones. Add to the apples along with the orange juice, orange rind, sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan partially. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, the apple is tender and the cranberries have burst, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cranberry sauce to a heatproof bowl and let cool for 1 hour before serving. Or cover and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before serving. Transfer the cranberry sauce to a sauce boat and pass at the table.
Makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups.


Posted by: Sallie & Julia
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...