Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Father's Day Menu










We'll be heading off later this week for a well anticipated summer vacation so I won't be posting for quite awhile, but I wanted to leave you with a menu idea for Father's Day. These ribs are one of my Mom's most requested recipes. They are my absolute, all time favorite and quickly became a favorite of my husbands too. I have to admit, I've never even tried another recipe. The sweet of the chili sauce, with the tart from the lemon is a winning combination. I like to use the boneless, country style ribs. They cook up so tender with no annoying bones to worry about. Plus, I think they taste just as delicious baked as they do on the grill so you if you're like me and are clueless when it comes to the BBQ, no worries. Most of this meal can be made the day before so you can both relax!
The Menu:
BBQ Ribs
Potato Salad or Funeral Potatoes
Corn on the Cob
Lemon Cake or Texas Sheet Cake


Mom's BBQ'd (or baked) Ribs
from Better Homes and Gardens
2 lbs. boneless, country style pork ribs

For the Sauce:
1/2 c. chili sauce
2 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
1/4 c. butter1/4 c. finely minced onion (I like to do mine in a mini food processor and get them nice and small)
1 c. Ketchup
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Worcestershire
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 lemon sliced

Either- Simmer ribs covered in salt water in saucepan until tender about 45-60 minutes or (my preferred method )-- put ribs in crock pot until just barely covered with salted water. Cook on low for 7 hours. Drain and refrigerate until baking or grilling. (I do this the night before). Meanwhile, prepare sauce. In a saucepan, combine ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, butter and onion. Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and lemon slices. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat.
If Baking in oven: Place hot ribs in shallow roasting pan; pour generous amount of sauce over ribs. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, basting with sauce every 10 minutes.
If grilling: Grill ribs over medium to low coals about 10-15 minutes each side, brushing often with sauce.

Perfect Potato Salad
My Kitchen Cafe


This potato salad was great. I've never had a potato salad recipe I've liked well enough to stick with. I really liked the "dressing" on this one. This recipe also gives you the option of serving it warm or cold. I will definitely be making this again. I think next time I will add pickles too.



Dressing:
2 cups mayonnaise
2/3 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. minced dried onions
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. mustard

Shake vigorously in jar or blend in blender until well combined.

Salad:
5 lbs. potatoes (red is what I used)
1 cup sliced olives
10 hard boiled eggs, diced
Peel, dice and boil potatoes until tender but not mushy. Drain potatoes well and pour into large bowl. Add sliced olives and hard boiled eggs. If you want to serve it warm--- Pour dressing over warm potatoes until desired "dressing-level" is reached. If you would like it cold pour a thin coating over the potatoes and refrigerate until cold (or overnight). Right before serving add remaining dressing to your liking. The recipe says it serves 6-8 but I would say 10-15.

Lemon Cake w/ Lemon Glaze
This recipe was given to me by my Mother in Law and has been a favorite of both my husband and I for years. The cake is moist and full of lemon flavor and it starts with a cake mix so it's really easy. It's got a nice, simple glaze of powdered sugar and lemon juice which keeps it nice and light, perfect for spring and summer.

Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 3 oz. pkg. Lemon Jello
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. water
4 eggs
1 tsp. lemon extract

Glaze
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat all ingredients together for 4 minutes. Bake in greased 9 x 13 pan for 30-40 minutes. When cake is done poke holes with fork all over the top of the cake. Pour glaze evenly over cake and put back in a 200 degree oven for 2-5 minutes just to "bake-in" the glaze.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...