Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Italian 3-Cheese Stuffed Shells

I love pasta dishes and this one was really yummy. Three types of cheeses are stuffed into jumbo pasta shells and layered in a zesty tomato sauce with what else but more delicious cheese. The original recipe called for ground beef but I had some sweet Italian sausage I needed to use up and it went perfectly. This meal does take a little planning because the sauce needs to simmer for 30 minutes but the actual hands on time is really quick. Dishes like this are nice because you can make it in advance and then cook it at dinner time.

Italian 3- cheese stuffed shells
Family Favorite Recipes

1 lb. ground beef or sweet Italian sausage
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups hot water
12 oz. tomato paste
1 T. instant beef bouillon granules
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
16 oz. container cottage cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package directions

Cook beef , onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water tomato paste, bouillon granules and oregano; simmer over medium heat about 30 minutes.

Stir together cottage cheese, one cup of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stuff cooked shells with cheese mixture; arrange in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Pour sauce mixture over shells. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts. Serves 6-8.
Posted by Picasa
Pin It!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too weird! I posted a comment on your July 8 recipe, then refreshed the site and found the pasta shells I just made this weekend--one of my old favorites! Ricotta cheese rather than cottage is a must in my opinion ;o)

My Sister's Kitchen said...

I was planning on trying it with ricotta next time because I am also a big fan. I'm glad to hear you like it that way.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...