Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Buttermilk Syrup- Two deliciously different ways




I have this recipe posted on my blog at the bottom of the Caramel Pecan French Toast recipe but it is so delicious it deserves a post all of it's own and I wouldn't want you to miss it.
My Mom first introduced me to this delicious syrup a couple of years ago when we had pumpkin waffles. Pumpkin waffles and buttermilk syrup are a great combination! Any waffles and buttermilk syrup are a great combination! The recipe she gave me produces a golden, buttery, indescribably delicious syrup.
In my food blog browsing I realized there was actually another way to make this syrup. Cooking the syrup for a longer period of time results in a delicious, caramel like syrup.
My husband prefers the second version. If I was forced to choose I think I prefer the first version although they are both so delicious it is too hard to choose.
No matter which version you try I can guarantee you'll be hooked for like.

Golden Buttermilk Syrup

1/2 cup butter (not margarine)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Heat butter, buttermilk, and sugar in a saucepan. Heat until boiling, stirring often. Boil for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir until combined. Serve immediately over pancakes or waffles.

Caramel Buttermilk Syrup

3/4 c. buttermilk

1 1/2 c. sugar

1 stick real butter

2 Tbsp. corn syrup

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda in a LARGE pot.

Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to low (as long as it's still bubbling, you're okay). Cook, stirring very frequently, for 8-9 minutes.
When it's done, it should take on a luscious golden-brown color. Remove from heat and add vanilla.Give it a good stir to mix in the foamy top. Enjoy!

*Either of these are amazing on ice cream or chocolate waffles, or both together!*

Posted by: Sallie











Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...