Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

This is one of those recipes that we had at Relief Society and I think it made the rounds of the whole neighborhood. It's one of my favorite fall/winter soups. It's so easy and creamy and uses ingredients you can always keep on hand. My kids really like it because it's so simple. Sometimes I'll throw in some carrots or corn which are great additions. I meant to get a picture but was rushing it out the door to take to a friend who just had a baby. I'll snap one next time.



Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Julie Shirts



4 cups chicken broth

2 cups water

2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded or 1 large can chicken with juice

1-6.2oz. Rice a Roni or Uncle Ben’s quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet

½ t. salt

½ t. black pepper

¾ cup all purpose flour

½ cup butter

2 cups heavy cream





In a large pot over medium heat, combine the broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling and then stir in the rice, reserving the seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper and flour. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the contents of the seasoning packet until the mixture is bubbly. Reduce the heat to low, then stir in the flour mixture by tablespoons to form a roux. Whisk in the cream a little at a time until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir the cream mixture into the broth and rice mixture. Cook over medium heat until heated through, about 10-15 minutes. Do not boil once the cream has been added. Makes 6 servings.



Posted by: Sallie
Pin It!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I was the lucky recipient of this yummy soup and it is as good as it sounds! Thanks for the dinner Sallie and thanks for posting the recipe, I'll be making it soon!!

Julia said...

Mmmm, this sounds so good. I'm definitely going to try it!

My Sister's Kitchen said...

Lisa, Glad you liked it. You never know when you're taking dinner to people. Zachary is darling and a perfect addition to your cute family!

jen said...

This soup has become a staple at my house. We LOVE it. I use half and half instead of the heavy cream and I still think it tastes great!

My Sister's Kitchen said...

I am so glad to hear that it tastes great with the half and half. I am going to try that next time.

Julia said...

We made this for dinner last night and it was so good. I'll definitely be making this again!

Shannon said...

This is the first review I've ever written for a recipe I found online (and I have tried a lot). This soup was fantastic! Even my picky 2 year old ate it. I bought regular instead of quick cooking rice a roni, so I just cooked the rice in water first for about 25 minutes before adding it in. I also only had a cup of heavy cream, so I used that plus a cup of skim milk. It tastes just like Panera's chicken and wild rice soup, yummy!

My Sister's Kitchen said...

So nice hearing that you liked it and about the substitutions. My friend Jen said she uses half and half so I'm going to try that next time. I love when the kids like it too.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...