Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Cilantro Lime Rice--two ways


Picture from Mel's Kitchen Cafe


If I haven't professed my undying love, devotion, could eat there every day for Cafe Rio, I am doing it now.  My favorites are, well, pretty much everything. My absolute favorite is the grilled chicken salad. I also love, love, love their chicken tortilla soup. Every once in awhile I'll get a craving for that sweet, delicious pork.  Like I said, I like pretty much everything. I have a recipe found here for a yummy version of their pork salad.

While my sister and her cute family were here, we cooked up the pork meat in the crock pot and made pork tacos with the meat. I wanted some rice to go with it and found several recipes for Cilantro Lime Rice. It turned out so yummy that later that week, I tried another version and used it, along with the leftover pork, black beans, cheese, and green enchilada sauce for some smothered pork burritos. Both were equally delicious and are the perfect accompaniment for any Mexican meal.



CILANTRO-LIME RICE
Favorite Family Recipes
1 c. uncooked rice (long-grain, white rice)
1 tsp. butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 tsp. lime, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.


Cilantro Lime Rice
*Serves 4-6 as a side dish

1 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups rice (long grain white rice works best)
2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
juice and zest of 1 large lime
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cumin
In a skillet or medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the rice. stir, letting the rice and butter cook for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 15-16 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.

Recipe Source: from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

Posted by: Sallie
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...