Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicken Fajita Bowls



I know, more Mexican Food. Big shocker huh? I can't help it. Maybe it's some leftover California blood.

When I saw this recipe, I knew just what to use my leftover chicken fajitas for. (These really are the best fajitas, we love them!)Fajita bowls bursting with Spanish rice, moist chicken, juicy peppers, onions, and black beans. We topped ours with avocado, cheese, sour cream, pico and salsa.

 It's a great weeknight meal with simple flavors that come together beautifully. Pretty healthy too. My husband and I both ate this twice and were fighting for the leftovers!  I adapted the recipe to suite our tastes and use the leftovers on hand. We loved it so much, the steak version is on the menu for this week!

Chicken Fajita Bowls
inspired by Favorite Family Recipes

1 recipe chicken fajitas  ( depending on how many you're feeding. I had about half the fajita recipe leftover and it fed my husband and I twice.) or 1 lb. chicken breast, sliced into thin strips,1  can diced green chilies, 2 cloves garlic,1/2  c. chicken broth, 1 pkg. fajita seasoning, divided 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, 1 onion, thinly sliced,1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced, 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

this yummy Mexican rice or prepared package of your favorite Spanish rice

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

Flour tortillas

grated cheddar or Monterey jack cheese

Toppings- avocado, pico de gallo, sour cream, salsa, etc.

Use leftovers from above chicken fajitas or place chicken strips, chilies, garlic,  broth, and 1 Tbsp. fajita seasoning in a large plastic Ziploc bag. Press all the air out and let marinade for at least 1 hour. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. Drain some of the marinade (you don't need to drain it all out, you still want most of the chilies in with the chicken) and add chicken to skillet. Stir-fry until cooked through. Stir in remaining fajita mix. Add onion and peppers.  **If you are making your own fajita mix or using leftovers, skip this step and just use your already prepared fajita mixture.**

Prepare desired rice. Add beans and stir together with rice until hot. Prepare bowls by placing a tortilla inside of the bowl. Add rice/bean mixture to bowl. Add chicken and peppers/onions. Top with sliced avocado, cheese and any other garnishes.

Posted by: Sallie




Pin It!

1 comments:

Jaime said...

This has inspired me to make my own rendition of Chicken Fajita bowls. Unfortunately I didn't have a big enough bowl so it was turned it to "platters". Delicious all the same!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...