Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fruit Smoothies

I hate failing. Not like anyone really likes to fail, but in the smoothie department I have to admit to being a miserable failure (at least in the eyes of my four children.) No matter what I'd whip up, after one sip my kids seemed to suddenly disappear leaving a melty mess in their wake . Determined to remedy this situation I turned to Cook's Country, one of my favorite recipe resources. With their tips for smoothies I was finally able to create a smoothie my kids loved and mend my broken ego!Here is what helped me.



Splurge a little- Taste testers found non-fat yogurt too gritty. Not surprisingly, this is what I had been using. A simple switch to low-fat worked wonders.


Use Frozen Fruit- If you have fresh fruit, freeze for 2-3 hours.Frozen fruit is frozen at it's peak and often has more flavor than off-season fruit. The frozen fruit adds flavor and body without iciness.


The formula for success-

2 cups frozen fruit
1 1/2 cups low fat yogurt
1/2 cup juice
2 bananas (make sure they are ripe. The green ones will taste unripe even in a smoothie)
2 tablespoons honey

Blend until desired consistency is reached.


I used frozen strawberries, low fat vanilla yogurt and orange juice.



Yield: 3-4 breakfast sized smoothies. Smoothies will not keep so if you need to, halve the recipe.



Posted by: Sallie
Pin It!

2 comments:

Pam said...

This sounds amazingly like my smoothies, except I don't really measure the ingredients... If its too runny add more fruit or yogurt, if too thick add more juice...

You ought to try Raspberries and peaches with white grape peach juice (Welches) and raspberry yogurt. (And banana's of course) Totally tasty!

Another favorite of my family is vanilla yogurt, strawberries, peaches, bananas, and cranberry juice. YUM!

Melody said...

Thanks for this. I am always disappointed in my smoothies. Cook's County is great! I first found it on PBS and was fascinated by all the testing and science behind the cooking. Very cool!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...