Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Light and Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes


I love pancakes but it seems like 5 minutes after I'm done I'm hungry again. Combine that with the fact that I have some seriously "wheat" suspicious family members and you've got a problem. I really like wheat bread, rolls, etc. but the rest of my family prefers white. I am slowly trying to add more whole grains to our meals but sometimes you just gotta be sneaky! These pancakes fit the bill. They are the best wheat pancakes I've ever had. Because they combine some white and some wheat flour they still taste nice and fluffy. I used whole wheat pastry flour which gave them even more of a light feel. Breakfast passed with no suspicious glances or questioning about the ingredients of the pancakes. In fact my 4 year old asked for seconds! Success, even if it was a little devious! The recipe also included a strawberry sauce which was just ok. If you're interested the recipe can be found here.


Whole Wheat Pancakes

Ellie Krieger

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour or for really light pancakes use whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, etc. for serving

Directions
Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through salt). In another medium bowl, beat together the eggs, nonfat milk, buttermilk, honey and vanilla.
Preheat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over a medium-low flame. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing only enough to combine them. The batter will be somewhat lumpy. Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup pour the batter onto the griddle or skillet. Flip the pancake when the top is bubbling and it is golden brown on the bottom. Then cook until the other side is golden brown. Hold on an oven proof plate in the oven until the entire batch is ready. When all the pancakes are ready serve with desired toppings. Makes approx 8 really big pancakes.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

These were GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing. I will NEVER make Bisquick pancakes ever again! Have you ever tried this recipe with waffles?

My Sister's Kitchen said...

I'm kind of (okay majorly) picky when it comes to pancakes and waffles. My personal preference is for pancakes to be light and fluffy and waffles to have a crispy outside and tender inside. I know with pancake mixes you can usually add a tablespoon more oil or butter and use it for waffle batter. I've also read that separating the eggs and beating the egg whites to stiff peaks will work. I haven't tried either with this recipe so I can't vouch for either idea. I did find a link on King Arthur Flour for a quick mix that you can make pancakes or waffles with. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/quick-mix-pancakes-or-waffles-recipe. I have tried numerous recipes from their website and they're all great. (My all-time favorite waffle comes from their website. Here's the link to that one also. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-buttermilk-waffles-recipe).Hope that helps and glad you liked these pancakes.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...