Creating memories in the kitchen...One meal at a time.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting




I hope everyone had a great Easter. Ours was really fun. I have a few recipes that turned out great that I want to share. This is one of them.

I was looking through my recipes for Easter and was disappointed when I saw that the Hummingbird Cake didn't have any carrots in it. I had been craving carrot cake and ended up making this recipe instead. It is from the new Worldwide Ward Cookbook. I was a little hesitant because it had whole wheat flour in it and I wasn't sure how it would taste in a cake. I thought it turned out really good. It was nice and moist and I loved the addition of coconut. I made mine the night before and kept it in the fridge. I served it cold right out of the fridge and thought it was delicious. I also liked the three layers because I thought it looked really nice. I will for sure make this cake again.


Carrot Cake




2 cups sugar


1 1/2 c. oil (I used vegetable)


4 eggs


1 c. flour


1 c. whole wheat flour


2 tsp. baking soda


1 tsp. salt


1 tbsp. cinnamon


2 tsp. vanilla


3 carrots, grated ( I used a food processor and they were perfect size)


3/4 c. pecans, chopped


1 c. raisins


1/2 cup crushed pineapple or applesauce (I used pineapple and drained it)


3/4 c. coconut




In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add eggs and mix well. Sift flours, soda salt and cinnamon together. Add to sugar mixture and beat well. Add vanilla and grated carrots. Fold in nuts, raisins, pineapple, and coconut. Grease and flour three 8 inch layer cake pans. Pour batter evenly into pans and bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Cool on racks for 10 minutes and remove from pans to continue cooling. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Makes 16 servings.




Cream Cheese Frosting




1/2 cup butter, room temperature


1 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature


1 lb. powdered sugar


1-2 tsp. vanilla




In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together. Add sugar and vanilla extract until frosting is of spreading consistency.




*If you don't have 3 cake pans you could probably use 2 larger cake pans and bake for longer. *
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...